Cockroaches are probably the worst household pest that can be dealt with as they come in search of food and hide well unless a good population is present in your house. They hide in places wherever they fit and also infect leftover food, causing many diseases.
This pest can be removed in earlier stages by these solutions.
The Most Common Cockroach Species Encountered in India:
- German cockroach (Blatella germanica)
- American Cockroach (Periplaneta americana)
- Brown banded cockroach (Supella longipalpa)
- Oriental cockroach (Blatta orientalis)
German Cockroaches can be a major issue in restaurants, pubs, cafes, commercial kitchens and in our homes as they are prolific breeders, and can live in ovens, in refrigerators as well as in cracks and crevices. Their adults are approx 15-25 mm long in size.
American and to a lower degree smoky brown cockroaches all can be found in buildings. Their sizes are much larger than the German cockroaches up to 30-55 mm, having ability to fly at night.
Typically, cockroaches are nocturnal. If you see a cockroach in the day by means they are forced to move out due to overcrowding which is relatively a severe infestation sign. Cockroaches implicated to carry over 30 diseases, can be a reason for food poisoning.
How to Know If You Have Cockroach Infestation:
- Faecal residue
- Foul odour especially in damp and dark areas
- Egg cases
- Body parts usually limbs
Often found in dark places like,
- Cracks and Crevices
- Kitchen sinks
- Wall Cavities
- Toilets, hot water systems and showers
- Subflooring and roof voids
Cockroach Prevention Tips:
- Proof Entry Point – Cracks and cracks around the sink, window and electrical windows and make sure the kitchen wall and floor tiles are well numbered.
- Store food items appropriately – use Tupperware or metal containers where possible, with a tightly fitting lid.
- Place rubbish bags in metal or plastic cans – with a tightly fitted lid to prevent cockroach penetration.
- Good Housekeeping – Clean up leftover food, sweep away any food scraps and mop the spillage immediately. Clean and clean all surfaces and floors regularly, removing all food residue.
- Eliminate clutter – Take supplies from locked boxes and stores in cupboards and open metal shelving. This will reduce the harbor areas for cockroaches and aid visual inspections.
- Regular professional inspection – by a qualified pest control company technician